Sunday, February 12, 2017

Life as seen from 4 paws

So, I was chillin in the crib with my bro's and sis's and a few other new friends at the Aurora outpost of the Anderson Animal Shelter.  We all got along well and such, but I was beginning to think that I wanted to adopt a person of my very own.  Don't get me wrong, the staff there was great, but they were busy and did not have the time to really get to know me.


It was Friday night and this nice couple came in to see us.  They were dressed in matching colors, kind of cute, but harmless.  I could see that these two had potential.  I had to wait a little bit as they looked over some of my different friends here.  They took Midnight out for a walk, well Midnight took them out for a walk.  He is part lab, like me, but much older.  He had turned the big 03 not too long ago, which is some other big number in dog years, but I don't really know what.  After they came back from that excursion, I looked them over closer.  Athletic, artistic and wanting a puppy.  They looked very loving to each other.  They had potential to be some pretty good humans.  I knew they were a bit old, but I figured I could inject a little youth into their world.

Anyway, I let the manager know that I wanted to spend a little time with them, so he brought me out of the crib to see them.  We spent a fun 10 minutes or so together.  I played a little fetch with them and snuggled with them a bit.  They seemed very nice, but I just was not quite sure.  I had my mind set on a pure athlete, but these two seemed pretty close.  I let the manager know that I appreciated the visit and thanked him, but i was not ready to make a decision.  
















I wrestled with the thought of them all night long.  I could tell that the woman (he called her Denise) was not going to be my first choice, but the one called Chuck was really pretty special.  She would be a better match for a cute, quieter dog.  But, I knew that I could get to love her if I decided on him.  

As I thought about it, I realized that human that I was going to adopt did not need to be a purebred athlete, but that as long as he had many of the traits that a pure athlete would have, that I would be happy.  As I thought about, I realized that this Chuck was the human that i wanted to adopt.  I had really enjoyed my time with him and his beautiful bride on Friday night.  I know that I wanted to make them my forever family.  

Saturday morning, I let the day manager know that I wanted to reserve him so that no other dog would take them before I could get them here.  They said they don't often do that, but in my case they would make an exception.  I spent the rest of the morning and early afternoon playing with my brothers and sisters for the last time, letting them know that I would be heading out soon.  Puppy, let me tell you they were jealous.  They commented on how pretty that Denise was, and that Chuck was nice too, but I knew that I had found a human that would care for me, talk to me, listen to me, walk with me and play with me.  I knew it would take a lot of patience and training, but that I would be able to build a bond with him that would last for years.  I knew that it was important that he feel and be seen as the Alpha human in this relationship, but I knew that I would be the one that controlled his heart.  

About mid-afternoon Chuck and Denise and Bristol came into our store.  Wait, Bristol?  All of my litter-mates were asking, who's this 4 legged intruder?  Had another dog selected my Chuck?  No, I told them, I had picked and reserved Chuck.  This gray beast of a puppy was Denise's dog.  "Are you crazy?" they asked?  Sharing two humans with another puppy?  I told them that I was fine with this.  Chuck was mine and Bristol was hers.  And that Bristol would keep her entertained when I was busy with Chuck.  

"You are so lucky" they said, "they are such a cute couple, with their matching colors and all." 




















"You can tell that they are going to be fun to train and raise, and that you will have a very loved and cared for life" my brothers told me.  My sisters commented again about how pretty Denise was and how they would pick her in an instant.  I agreed that she is very beautiful and special in her own way, but that Chuck was my human, that he was perfect for me.

My dog family reminded me of all of the things to think about and said our good byes.

In the car, I finally got a good look at my new puppy mate, Bristol.  What the heck kind of dog was he, I asked.  He didn't answer me, he just howled.  

















"Come on, dude" I said, "it is just a car ride, and my Chuck is right up there.  He won't let anything happen to us"  

" I know," he howled some more.  "My Denise is there as well, but I am six feet away from her and this is scary.  Listen, even Chuck is howling"

"He is not" I replied, "He is singing trying to calm you down"

"Sure sounds like howling" Bristol replied and went back to his howling.

I came to realize of the next few hours that any time Denise was away was a good time for Bristol to whine and howl.  And, any time Denise was there was a good time for Bristol to sleep.  Dog, can that puppy sleep.

Anyway, enough about him.  I am living the good life.  Chuck is an even better human than I thought.  He plays with me, holds me, pets me, runs with me, walks with me and takes me outside.  I really like that outside stuff.  Just sitting in my new back yard is great, feeling the grass under me and smelling all of the new smells wafting by.  

Chuck had a crate installed for me and I really like it.  It is a good place to rest and relax, kind of like my own dog cave.  I am thinking about installing a wide screen tv, at least 24 inches, in it, but that will be for later.  I can get in there whenever I want, and it is usually very nice.  Well, except when the Howler is in there with me, and Denise is not right there.  Does anyone have a pair of ear plugs I can borrow?

 I let the sleeping howler know that all of the toys here in the house are really mine.  He seemed surprised when he would pick up something to chew on and I would come take it away.  "You were already chewing on something" he would say.  

"Doesn't matter", I would say, "They are all my toys and right now I want to chew on the one you have".  I am sure he will learn over time.

I did need to let Chuck know that "Julie" was just my temporary name, that my real name is Samwise Gamgee.  Sam or Sammy for short. He has messed it up a couple of times, but I am thinking he will get the hang of it soon.

Anyway, I am liking my furever human and home a lot.  I am glad that I found him.
















Sam


3 comments:

  1. Why can't I think of creative things like this? You continually amaze me with your outside of the box thinking. You are amazing. I love you, and our furbabies.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a sweet story and I hope your as glad Sammie adopted you as she is.

    ReplyDelete
  3. How lucky you are Sam! I hope your new human lives up to your expectations.

    ReplyDelete