Thursday, January 29, 2015

In defense of the selective eater

.First off, I want to clarify.  I am not a picky eater, I am a selective eater, I am a conservative eater.  I know what I like to eat and I select to eat that again and again, and again and again. And then again.  

It is not like I have just discovered food, or eating, or taste. I have been part of this eating system for more than 55 years now. I know what I like and I stick with it.  My approach to eating is " if it isn't broke, don't fix it ".  And, so far, I am not broke.  I don't have scurvy or any of those other lack of food maladies.  So, I figure my eating approach must be working.  

Now, my lovely bride's approach is a little different.  She has two maxims in her approach to food that just don't quite agree with. One is "sure, I'll try that" and the other is "you need to eat from all these different food groups to be healthy". 

I could try more foods, but why?  I like what I am eating now. I enjoy the meals I have.  They are tried, true and safe. Sure bets in the world of meals.  Front Street Cantina is one of my favorite restaurants, a tasty little Mexican place. I happen to like their ground beef chimichanga, which I have every time I eat there.  I like many types of Mexican food (yes, I know most of it is the same ingredients, just with different names) and I would like many things on the menu, but what am I to gain by trying them?  In my mind, I look at it as a wager, a gamble. I am gambling the cost and enjoyment of the meal on whatever new plate I may try.  If I don't like it as much, then I have wasted the cost and the enjoyment of that meal by trying something new. So, I would be just as happy with that restaurant if they took everything else off the menu and just had chips and ground beef chimichangas.  

My lovely bride is trying to "improve" my eating habits. I admit it is very nice having home cooked meals  and Denise is an excellent cook.  I have very much enjoyed each of the meals she has made.  The thing is that she has decided that I need to be eating "better" foods.  Like eggs, for example. I guess there is something missing in me that eating eggs will magically cure. The thing is, they are "supposed" to be good for me.  Well, they were supposed to be good for me about 35 years ago, then for a while they were supposed to be "not good" for me.  Then, voila, they are supposed to be good for me again. I am sorry, but I am just not buying it. If all of the scientists cannot make up their mind on whether they are good for me, then why should I be expected to commit my eating habits to them.  Because, as previously noted, if I like them, I will eat them again and again, etc.  So, I am just going to wait this one out until someone can agree again. And, until then, I will just suffer whatever malady there is that is caused by my not eating eggs.  

I hear that I need to have fruit in my diet.  I have done well so far without it. I think it is a good idea, healthy, biodegradable and all of that, and I think it will catch on.  I am willing to try this. Right now, I am trying to determine how many blueberry muffins I will need to eat each day in order to get my minimum daily requirement of fruit. 

No comments:

Post a Comment