Tuesday, December 2, 2014

The question was asked .......


It is late, and my flight home was delayed (a regular feature with Frontier Air, but there is at least no extra charge for it ).  I am flying home from a wonderful week with Denise in Joseph, Utah. I have the exit row to myself, as a matter of fact, I have all of the exit rows to myself.  I think it is my responsibility to open all 4 exits if there are any problems.

I had the privilege of meeting all three of Denise's children and plus one's wife and another's boyfriend. This is quite a group of really nice, talented and fun people.  I am honored that I will soon be part of their family. The jokes, laughter, conversation and activities were wonderful.  We had a couple of photo sessions and a Thanksmas meal to prepare and eat.  I am looking forward to any future time with any of them. 

Also, on this trip, I was able to meet some of Denise's friends.  One, a lady who is very shy and quiet (it was hard to get even a couple of words out of her) surprised me by asking the question "why Denise?".

While I did answer the question at the time, I have also been rethinking my answer since then. Why, out of the roughly 2 billion women in the world, why have I chosen Denise to be the one that I will marry, that I will share the rest of my life with, the one to be my forever girl?

Ok, so maybe 1+ billion are from the Far East, Africa and such, whom I would never meet.  You can take them out of the equation, if you like, but the question still remains, why Denise? 

There are many reasons, including our shared common interests of photography, writing, being outdoors, not living life in front of a tv.  These are wonderful parts of us, but not the main reasons. Other reasons include how beautiful she is, what a wonderful mom she is, and how she laughs at my jokes (even the "dad jokes" or "chuck-isms").

The following reasons are much more important.  

A few years ago I was part of a small study group.  During one of these meetings, the leader of the group was talking about his relationship with his wife, about how fascinating she was to him, about how there was no other person he would want to spend time with more. I saw that and realized how wonderful that would be in a marriage relationship. To be married to my very best friend, to be fascinated by my spouse, to be with the one that I want to know and be with more than anyone, are all so important.  Denise is that woman to me. She is fun, caring, intelligent, witty, talented, and so much more. I so enjoy being with her, and she is the one who fascinates me, whom I want to know more and more, and to share more and more of life with.

I had a job with a small company a number of years ago, and was fortunate to see one couple interact with each other as part of my day to day job. They were together coming to work, worked in the same office, were together going home, and then together in their home life. This couple each watched out for each other, and both enjoyed their time together throughout the day.  I knew that I hoped for that enjoyment of time together with my spouse should I ever marry again, and in Denise, I have found that. We communicate very often throughout the day and evening and always look for an opportunity to connect again, whether for a quick phone call, or a multi-hour Skype conversation, where we may talk intently for a time but then also just share time while we are accomplishing out day to day tasks.  The times we have been together have been wonderful and smooth, enjoying each other as we talk, explore, hike, shop or whatever. We feel like we have known each other for years, and when we are together, it is as if we have never been apart.  There are no eggshells around, no uncomfortableness, but just the simple enjoyable comfort of time shared together.  

I have been in relationships, both personal and professional, where I have felt like there was a scoreboard over my left shoulder, and that each thing that I said or did was evaluated and scored, and the relationship was based on that score. With Denise, I am simply loved like I have never been loved before. She expresses her love, admiration, and respect of me to me in so many ways each day.  She tells me in her words via phone calls and Skype. She tells me in the text messages that we send back and forth.   She shows me in the Facebook posts she makes each day, sharing her love for me in the messages posted for me and about me with her friends.  She shows me in time together in the ways she cares for me, watching for my well being. The way she sits close, holds my hand, smiles at me, and cares for my physical needs (food, head aches, sore muscles) as well as protecting our relationship, show me that I am loved like never before. 

Additionally, Denise is the kindest and most caring person I know. I can see it in her relationship with others, through other's interactions with her, and especially in the way she cares for me.  The way she watches out for me, cares for me and guards my heart is amazing. 

So, why Denise?  Of course because she is beautiful, caring, kind, sweet, talented, a woman that I can really talk with, and a woman that I can enjoy exploring life with. But, even more so because she is my best friend, because I love any time that I have with her, and because I have never been loved as she loves me.  As you can begin to see, the "why Denise" is pretty obvious. I am just so fortunate that she has chosen me, and that I will have the privilege and joy of loving and serving Denise as my fiancée now and soon as my wife. 











No comments:

Post a Comment